Board Member Job Description
Our mission is to alleviate the effects of poverty, hunger, homelessness and addiction by providing community-based social services to those in need.
Immanuel Community Services (ICS) provides assistance to individuals in the Cascade Neighborhood and greater Seattle area through our four programs: a Food Bank, a Community Lunch, a Hygiene Center and a residential Recovery Program Shelter. Through all our programs, we strive to build relationships and be a place where people can become connected and involved. We work together, side-by-side, to maintain dignity, rekindle hope and create a community of belonging.
Purpose of Position
Members of the Immanuel Community Services (ICS) Board of Directors are charged with general oversight of the organization’s operational effectiveness in fulfilling its mission. The Board is responsible for planning, goal-setting, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the organization and its programs in fulfilling the ICS mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Share skills, knowledge and experience to ICS’ benefit.
- Communicate ICS’ mission, purpose and programs to the community, serving as an ambassador.
- Maintain knowledge of current programs and staff of the organization.
- Hire, support and evaluate the Executive Director in the exercise of their duties.
- Assist in recruiting and supporting volunteers, committee members and board members.
- Participate in fundraising events.
- Support, cultivate and thank existing donors.
- Procure donations of time, money and goods.
- Make financial gifts to ICS that are significant to you.
- Monitor, review and approve policies, program goals and annual budget.
- Attend, prepare for and participate in monthly 2-hour Board meetings.
- Attend annual Board planning retreats.
- Serve on Board committees, as needed.
The ICS Board is a volunteer board.